Friday 12 July 2013

The truth is there but nobody sees it


Despite of all the wicked things that I do and all the sex that I have, I go to church and I have some sort of faith in God. My belief is built upon and transformed by experiences over the years, for better or for worse.

I have lived in different places and so have gone to very different churches. The one that I have been going to for about a year is a small congregation lead by a church elder, who is very traditional and narrow-minded. Every time he gives a sermon I have to hold on to my seat so I don't launch out and hurt him.

"The Bible says don't be conformed to this world. People want to legalise homosexuality. Is that right? Do we support them?"
The OAPs in the congregation shook their heads, as they have been spoon-fed the idea that gay equals wrong.

Erm, sorry, but are you referring to legalising gay marriage or anal penetration? Just an example of his lack of clarity that I find frustrating. He never goes on to explain why it's such a damning sin to be gay - it just is. Frankly I don't think he has the knowledge to answer questions in this area. The man needs to study the Bible a bit more closely and perhaps take a theology course to open up his mind first.

I am friends with the elder's son. Not close friends but we get along and to be honest there are only about a dozen people my age. We're hanging out the other day and a girl mentions the upcoming gay pride. She loves watching the parade with her husband but she's never sure whether it is "right" to enjoy as a spectator. So she asks for the elder's son's opinion. The funny thing is, he doesn't really care. His manager at work is gay. He's been to a gay wedding ceremony (his manager's) not that he likes to bring it up. He's neither for or against, as long as he has his video games and shit. What a funny world we live in.

3 comments:

Explorer Jack said...

Good Grief. I have to ask the obvious; Why do you continue to go to this church and listen to this "Elder" that ruffles your feathers so?

Ethan is 24, lives alone. So, it can't be your parents, right?

Anonymous said...

the posts i enjoy reading the most in your blog are the ones about our Catholic faith :-) maybe because i have similar opinions on this subject.

The most liberating feeling I had was when I realized and accepted myself irregardless of what the Catholic dogmas preach....the good thing though is that it never diminished my faith in Him.

Ethan said...

Jack,
The good thing is we invite ministers/pastors from other churches too so I look forward to their sermons. And I'm not the only one who thinks the Elder's way is not on. I want to stick around to see maybe something will change here. We will see.

Anonymous,
Nice to hear from you and to know there are others like me. I'd describe myself as christian but whatever it is it's based on faith. Even when mine is weak as water.